One of the best ways to photograph a family is to follow them on a walk or a hike. The setting can be your neighbourhood, a river path, the beach, or anywhere there are things for kids to discover and explore.
I’ve posted this series from a morning hike at Birds Hill Park with my own team. I adore them but wish I’d taken the time to look at everyone’s clothing before we left the house that day. Let’s breakdown why wardrobe is important to consider when paying someone to photograph your clan.
- Layers & Accessories – excellent use of sweaters, hats and sunglasses here.
- Avoid wearing matchy matchy outfits – success.
- No logos, Brands or Words because they draw eyes from the subject – your family’s beautiful faces!
- Remember that everything from head to toe will be in the images – see socks and sandals.
- Consider your surroundings and wear contrasting colours
- Textures like those in wool sweaters (or mermaid tail costume dresses) photograph beautifully.